Sergei Blumin was born in Leningrad
(now St. Petersburg), Russia, in 1947.
From 1965 he studied the trumpet at
the Moscow Conservatory. There, in 1966, influenced by the works of
Kandinsky and Klee, he produced his first painting, using shoe polish,
toothpaste, and ketchup for paints. This first creation refused to dry
and, to the displeasure of Mr. Blumin’s roommates, for three months
continued to emit a rather distinct odor. It did dry, eventually, and
exists in the artist’s private collection today. In 1968, Mr. Blumin
transferred to the Leningrad Conservatory, from which he graduated in
1970. Upon graduation he joined a chamber music orchestra, and since then
he played the trumpet with various orchestras, including St. Petersburg
Alongside his musical career, Mr.
Blumin pursued his interest in art, and in 1974 was made a member of the
youth section of the Union of Artists. From 1974 to 1978, he participated
in many exhibitions throughout the Soviet Union, including a personal one
at the Summer Garden Rossi Pavilion in St. Petersburg. His works were
acquired by the State Historical Museum in Moscow, by the Ministry of
Culture (in 1976), and by the State Russian Museum in St. Petersburg (in
1977). In 1978, Sergei Blumin emigrated from
the Soviet Union. For a year and a half he lived in Europe, mainly in
Vienna and Florence. Finally, in 1979, he settled in New York, and has
lived and worked there since.